Re: First bonafide use (≠ mention) of emoji by an academic publisher?

From: Doug Ewell via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 17:45:03 -0600

Leonardo Boiko wrote:

> To my boundless, heartbreaking disappointment, these emojis are not
> U+1F4D8 BLUE BOOKs 📘 from a custom @css font, but rather private-use
> U+F02Ds, which index a book glyph in some icon pack called Font
> Awesome <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_Awesome>. At least they're
> inserted via CSS :before-selectors, which means they'll be
> automatically treated as decorations and seamlessly excluded from
> copy-paste operations.

We use Font Awesome for my project at work, for symbols embedded in text
which have no reason and no need to be interchanged, converted to other
character sets, or indexed in search engines.

Font Awesome also includes some symbols that, we think, won't ever be
Unicode emoji, such as the Android, Apple, Bluetooth, and Windows logos.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org