Re: First bonafide use (≠ mention) of emoji by an academic publisher?

From: Leonardo Boiko via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 12:32:40 +0200

I don't have anything against that, in principle. It would just be more
satisfying for me if the blue books were encoded in the font as U+1F4D8s,
rather than U+F02Ds. Or, if the colors are done at a CSS level, as 📕
U+1F4D5 CLOSED BOOKs or the like. Same goes for the other icons in FA
which *do *have an emoji counterpart (which would be, I suspect, the
majority).

The reasons I'd prefer such an encoding are, to be honest, purely æsthetic;
but they could also be argued on functional terms. Consider Instagram's
fascinating results when applying word-vector models to emoji, for example (
https://engineering.instagram.com/emojineering-part-1-machine-learning-for-emoji-trendsmachine-learning-for-emoji-trends-7f5f9cb979ad
). One never knows just *when *someone will want to interchange, convert,
or index characters; even emoji symbols can find valid, unexpected
applications. Suppose a researcher in the future wants to investigate
early usage of academic emoji in the 21st century. Or suppose something as
simple as trying to find out which emoji are used most frequently in a
field, country, or time period. Having the icon encoded as U+1F4D5 rather
than U+F02D would help this sort of interoperability, while causing no
problems for anyone (it's, after all, just a matter of choosing which
numbers you give to which icons; calling it #128213 is as easy as calling
it #61485).