Re: The Unicode Standard and ISO

From: Marcel Schneider via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 16:53:27 +0200 (CEST)

William,

On 12/06/18 12:26, William_J_G Overington wrote:

> Hi Marcel
>
> > I don’t fully disagree with Asmus, as I suggested to make available localizable (and effectively localized) libraries of message components, rather than of entire messages.
>
> Could you possibly give some examples of the message components to which you refer please?

Likewise I’d be interested in asking Jonathan Rosenne for an example or two of automated translation from English to bidi languages with data embedded,
as on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 15:42:38 +0000, Jonathan Rosenne via Unicode wrote:
[…]
> > > One has to see it to believe what happens to messages translated mechanically from English to bidi languages when data is embedded in the text.

But both would require launching a new thread.

Thinking hard enough, I’m even afraid that most subscribers wouldn’t be interested, so we’d have to move off-list.

One alternative I can think of is to use one of the CLDR mailing lists. I subscribed to CLDR-users when I was directed to move there some technical discussion
about keyboard layouts from Unicode Public.

But now as international message components are not yet a part of CLDR, we’d need to ask for extra permission to do so.

An additional drawback of launching a technical discussion right now is that significant parts of CLDR data are not yet correctly localized so there is another
bunch of priorities under July 11 deadline. I guess that vendors wouldn’t be glad to see us gathering data for new structures while level=Modern isn’t complete.

In the meantime, you are welcome to contribute and to motivate missing people to do the same.

Best regards,

Marcel