Re: A last missing link for interoperable representation

From: James Kass via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2019 10:00:38 +0000

Marcel Schneider wrote,

> With rich text we need to stay in rich text, whereas the goal of
> this thread is to point ways of ensuring interoperability.

Both interoperability and legibility are factors.  The question might
be:  How legible should Unicode be for Latin—barely legible, moderately
legible, or extremely legible?

The boundaries of plain text have advanced since the concept originated
and will probably continue to do so.  Stress can currently be
represented in plain text with conventions used in lieu of existing
typographic practice.  Unicode can preserve texts created using the
plain text kludges/conventions for marking stress, but cannot preserve
printed texts which use standard publishing conventions for marking
stress, such as italics.

If Latin were a dead script being proposed for encoding now, it’s
possible that certain script features currently considered to be merely
stylistic variants best reserved for mark-up would be encoded atomically.

Scripts added more recently to Unicode appear to have been encoded with
the idea of preserving the standard writing and publishing conventions
of the users.  It's only natural if some Latin script users want to push
back the boundaries of Latin computer plain text accordingly.