Re: Encoding italic

From: Rebecca Bettencourt via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 03:02:12 -0800

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 6:23 AM Richard Wordingham via Unicode <
unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 04:52:30 -0800
> David Starner via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org> wrote:
>
> > Note that this is actually the only thing that stands out to me in
> > Unicode not supporting older character sets; in PETSCII (Commodore
> > 64), the high-bit character characters were the reverse (in this
> > sense) of the low-bit characters.
>
> Later ISCII has some styling codes, bold and italic amongst them.

Interesting.

I found the 1991 ISCII spec: http://varamozhi.sourceforge.net/iscii91.pdf

The styling codes are:

EF 30 - Bold
EF 31 - Italic
EF 32 - Underline
EF 33 - Double Width
EF 34 - Highlight
EF 35 - Outline
EF 36 - Shadow
EF 37 - Double Height, Top Half
EF 38 - Double Height, Bottom Half
EF 39 - Double Height & Double Width

There are also codes for switching scripts (Roman, Devanagari, Bengali,
Tamil, Arabic, Persian, etc.) but these are not necessary since Unicode
encodes these separately.

These take effect "till the end of a line, or till the same attribute [code
is encountered]." In other words, these just toggle the attribute, and all
the attributes are reset when a newline is encountered.