Presentation of unknowned composited sequences for arabic script

From: Chookij Vanatham (chookij.vanatham@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 16:18:22 EDT

Hello Folk,

I'd like to hear the opinion from the group regarding what way would be
suitable to render the unknowed composited sequences of arabic script.
In unicode book 2.0, chapter 5.12 explains 2 ways to render the non-spacing
marks. One is "Show Hidden". The other is "Simple Overlap".
For the "Simple Overlap", users might not see those unknown composited
sequences clearly. "Show Hiddend" would be better. So, for arabic script,
whenever unknown composited sequence found, the previous base arabic character
will always be rendered as the final form (or isolated form, if they don't
have final form) and the next coming base arabic character (after unknown
composited sequence) will be rendered as the initial form ( or isolated form,
if they don't have initial form). Then, the unknown composited sequence will
be rendered as the spacing non-spacing marks. Would this be acceptatble to
arabic people ?

Ex:

Logical input:

BEH BEH FATHATAN FATHATAN BEH BEH

U+0628 + U+0628 + U+064B + U+064B + U+0628 + U+0628

Visual output (Arabic Presentation Form B) :

BEH (I) BEH (F) FATHATAN FATHATAN (I) BEH (I) BEH (F)

U+FE91 + U+FE90 + U+064B + U+FE76 + U+FE91 + U+FE90
                                 ^

                         Unknown composited sequence

Chookij V.