Re: Presentation of unknowned composited sequences for arabic script

From: Chookij Vanatham (chookij.vanatham@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 20:25:07 EDT

Hi Folk,

Just would like to hear from arabic people.

Thanks,

Chookij V.

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:16:54 -0700
From: Rick McGowan <rmcgowan@apple.com>
Subject: Re: Presentation of unknowned composited sequences for arabic script
To: chookij.vanatham@eng.sun.com

Ah, thanks for an example.

        BEH + BEH + FATHATAN + FATHATAN + FATHATAN + FATHATAN + FATHATAN + BEH

In this example, if it was in "proper" Unicode encoding, all of the "beh"
would be nominal forms in backing store of course. The final one would be
displayed as a final beh, and the initial one as an initial beh; they would
connect as usual, etc.

As for the fathatans... I would still recommend stacking them up so that
they "try to be visible" to signal the user that they are ill formed... It
doesn't make any sense, as you say. Maybe we'll see what Arabic people on
the Unicode list say.

        Rick