RE: ASCII Consortium

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (CHohberger@zebra.com)
Date: Mon Sep 20 1999 - 12:18:25 EDT

John,
We who do bar code standards would look at Morse Code as a two-width binary
code, with intercharacter and interword gaps. In fact, a Morse Code-like
structure is what you get when you look a a scan line across any linear bar
code.

Using my personal "fist", the basic module is the time interval of the half
dot, since a dot is an on/off pattern, "'10'; allowing for the interdot
gap. A "space" of similar length would be a "00".

A "dash" would be 3 dots long with a halfdot gap, or "1110", the similar
space interval would be "0000"

So, "Hi Sam" in Morse is ".... .. ... .- --" which, if sent with a one
module space between letters and 3 modules of space between words becomes
(Ignore my added spacing for readability):
:
<Hi>: 10101010 00 1010
<word gap>: 000000
<Sam>: 101010 00 101110 00 11101110

And we decode it by looking for patterns such as "00", "10", "1110",
"000000" in the long binary string.

Clive Hohberger
Chairman, US Bar Code Technical Symbology Committee
AIM Global (Barcode Industry Trade Assn)
ex-WA2BHJ