Re: Help: keyboard mapping to use unicode.

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 03 1999 - 01:43:26 EDT

At 07:45 -0700 9/22/1999, Yazid Djerbib wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I am new in the unicode world. I just found out (thanks to Ken Whistler)
>that I can write Tamazight (Latin based transcription) using unicode.

Welcome. Would you be interested in joining some experts (not me) in
languages and scripts, the ways of standards committees and
requirements for accepting a new writing system in writing the
proposal to get the Tamazight script included in Unicode 3.x or 4.0?
You need to find or create a rather thorough document detailing the
characters needed for current use and any existing documents.

>Now that I know the codes in Unicode 2.1 for all Tamazight characters, I
>would like to find out how to use the keyboard to type in Unicode
>characters on the web, word processor applications, sending e-mails...

There isn't a single typing method for Unicode. It requires one or
more keyboard layouts for each writing system, plus ways of entering
graphic symbols, math symbols, and so on. Does anyone type Tamazight
now?

>I would also appreciate any information on developing customized
>keyboard mappings to ease the typing of Unicode characters for the
>different platforms if possible (Windows 95, 98, NT, Macintosh and
>optionally Unix) as I intend to broadcast these information among the
>Tamazight users.

I have used Resource Editor (ResEdit) on the Macintosh to generate
Dvorak and APL keyboard layouts. (Rule 1: only work on copies of
layouts, not on original files. If you know which resources to open,
the rest is mostly drag and drop.) If that would be of use, I will
dig out the instructions I learned from and the article I wrote about
it.

I don't know about tools for laying out keyboards for Windows or
UNIX, but I am sure that someone here does know about it.

>References to documents will be much appreciated as well (I really
>don't want to abuse from you time).

Not at all. We need to hear from potential users of Unicode about any
barriers that remain in their way.

--
Edward Cherlin   edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu
"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you, it's