Re: Use of the Florin symbol not as a currency symbol

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 14:13:24 EDT

Ar 07:26 -0700 1999-10-04, scríobh John Cowan:
>Michael Everson scripsit:
>
>> Idiosyncratic or not I named a folder with it only yesterday, Peter.
>
>And when you did so, were you thinking of it mostly as a letter
>(a variant of "f") or mostly as a dingbat meaning "folder", like the
>dingbats for "paragraph" and "section"?

Ooooh. Nice one.

When I use § section I rarely think of it as two superimposed s-es. (When
designing a font of course I do.) I certainly don't think of it as a
letter. I could not write the word "kiss" as "ki§"

When I use ¶ its p-ness is a bit more evident, but again it is more of a
symbol than a letter. I couldn't write "happy" as "ha¶¶y". I couldn't even
write ¶aragra¶h, except as a joke.

Now. The florin sign proper is a symbol like all currency symbols, right?
That means one doesn't write Ÿlorin, right? I think I am happy enough to
write "Celtic fonts Ÿ" or "Celtic fonts folder", but I think that "Celtic
Ÿonts Ÿolder" ought to be considered a spelling error.

What does this imply for the Mac mapping? I am not sure. Certainly in
African languages f and Ÿ are different letters.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)