Re: Use of the Florin symbol not as a currency symbol

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 14:16:05 EDT

Ar 10:29 -0700 1999-10-04, scríobh peter_constable@sil.org:
> >Idiosyncratic or not I named a folder with it only yesterday,
> Peter.
>
> I don't think that's surprising. The more important question,
> though, is whether you have a need for that character to have
> any specific semantics in relation to normalization or case
> mappings? I could decide to use an ampersand or yen sign or any
> other character in filenames to signify something particular in
> abbreviated form, but I probably wouldn't expect any software
> do to anything intelligent with that other than read it and
> display it. What I'm trying to determine (I admit, I didn't
> phrase it as a question) is whether it matters to anybody what
> case mapping is associated with a character they've used as an
> abbrev for "folder" in a folder name.

I think the answer is that the African letters should be left alone, FLORIN
SIGN added to the UCS, and it really doesn't matter what character we
Macintosh users use for Ÿ. Right now it is the African letter, since that's
all that's there. If the FLORIN SIGN gets in, and Apple changes the
mapping, that'll be what we get. If they don't, we'll stick with the
African letter, which does sort and case like a letter.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)