Re: What happened to ....?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 16:22:11 EDT

Martin K asked:

> What I am wondering now: What happened to Unicode codes 03d8 (GREEK
> UPPER NUMERICAL SIGN) and 03d9 (GREEK LOWER NUMERICAL SIGN) that were
> present in Unicode 1.0 but seem to be missing from Unicode 3.0?

U+0374 GREEK NUMERAL SIGN
U+0375 GREEK LOWER NUMERAL SIGN

These got renamed and moved for Unicode 1.1 back in 1993.

> Have they been moved or can I simply omit them from my encoding vector?
>
> Furthermore, Fontographer 4.1.5 has the following characters defined
> which are missing from Unicode 1 and 3 specs:
>
> 05ba holamleft

holamleft and holamright are considered to be glyph variants of the
same basic character: U+05B9 HEBREW POINT HOLAM.

By the way, U+05BA has *never* been a valid, assigned Unicode character.

> 05f5 varika (was present in Unicode 1)

U+FB1E HEBREW POINT JUDEO-SPANISH VARIKA

> 22f2 approxequalmath

There are a bunch of approximately equal signs. Without exact specifications
of what this one is supposed to be, I cannot tell whether this is in the
Unicode 3.0 set, or in the math additions currently under proposal for
Unicode 4.0.

> 22f4 gscriptmath

A full collection of mathematical script letters will be available in
Unicode 4.0. But by this description, you are presumably referring to
U+210A SCRIPT SMALL G.

> 22f5 Omegainv

This is presumably U+2127 INVERTED OHM SIGN.

--Ken Whistler