Re: Mixed up priorities

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 20:56:48 EDT

At 14:24 21-10-1999 -0700, peter_constable@sil.org wrote:

> Adam:
>
> The entity "ch" already has an encoding in Unicode: U+0063 +
> U+0068. It doesn't need another precomposed-form encoding,
> unless there is something else your not telling us: please
> specify one text process that you or other Czechs need to have
> performed that can't be done unless there is a separate,
> precomposed character for "ch".

Argh, Peter, I am no more Czech than Michael is English! I am Slovak.

Yes, we can type "ch" using the GLYPHS "c" and "h", but Unicode prides
itself in being a character encoding, not a glyph encoding. To us, "ch" is
a character. Period. In our dictionaries the "ch" follows the "h" and
precedes the "i". We would never dream of looking for "ch" after "cg" and
before "ci".

By the way, we have already had this discussion once, and I really do not
expect to convince anyone. Nor am I trying to convince anyone in Slovakia
to use Unicode anymore. It is useless.

Adam