Mixed up priorities

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 15:47:27 EDT

At 03:51 21-10-1999 -0700, Stephen Holmes wrote:

>Please excuse the naivety of my question, but with regard to these fantasy
>scripts/languages, how is the decision made to include them in the Unicode
>repertoire. By what criteria is a script eligible?

I find it ridiculous that when I suggested to treat 'CH' as a character -
which it is in Slovak, Czech, and several other languages - I was swamped
with the reasons why that should not be the case, but at the same time it
is apparently OK to encode fictional "alphabets" such as Klingon in Unicode.

I guess linguistic reasons are secondary to popularity reasons. I guess we
unimportant Slovaks are just expected to change our alphabetization rules
so mighty Klingons can get their way. Heck, we should just teach our
children English and Klingon, and forget our own language, culture, and
tradition. :(

Adam