RE: Mixed up priorities

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 06:42:34 EDT

Ar 13:16 -0700 1999-10-23, scríobh Reynolds, Gregg:

>> Tetchy, aren't we? I meant exactly what I said, that the
>> common dictionary meaning of these terms was intended, and I
>> directed you thither in case you thought special technical
>> terminology or definitions were required or
>> should be devised, which they aren't and needn't.
>
>You disappoint me Michael - you've just played one of the oldest and most
>transparent (and sophmoric) rhetorical tricks in the book. I guess if you
>want to play it that way it's okay by me. I was assuming that you had full
>control over text and subtext, but maybe not. I also assumed that you had
>read my note before responding, but maybe not. In any case, let's drop it,
>I'm sure nobody is interested. I stand forwarned: I will not expect common
>courtesy from you in future.

I've no idea what you're on about. You said in your first posting that you
didn't know what I meant by consonant and vowel. I told you that I didn't
mean anything special beyond what is in the dictionary. If you want to make
it into an attempt on my part to insult you, well, it won't be the first
time I've had people want to attribute motivation and intention to me that
doesn't obtain.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)