Re: Translation from PC to Macintosh/Unix

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Tue Oct 26 1999 - 17:00:11 EDT

> We are a translation company in France and we need to translate Eastern
> Europe documents written in Unicode on PCs into Macintosh and UNIX
> character sets.
>
> The conversion through Word does not work and both Microsoft and Apple
> cannot find a solution to the problem.
>
> Special characters do not correspond in the two Unicode tables and we have
> squares instead of regular characters.
>
> Can you save us with a solution?
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards.

First of all, you will need the appropriate script system installed on your
Mac for the particular Eastern European characters you want to handle. If
you are not sure about that, please post the details.

Second, get the freeware Mac application "Cyclone". It uses the Text
Encoding Converter built into the Mac OS to convert among a large number of
character sets, including Unicode. It only deals with plain text files,
though.

You can download Cyclone from:

http://www.ire.pw.edu.pl/~tkukiel/cyclone.html

I hope this helps...