re: HKSCS in Unicode?

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 11:20:20 EDT

On Wednesday, October 27, 1999 7:21:32 PM, John Hudson wrote:

> Are these HKSCS characters included in the additional ideographs in Unicode
> 3.0? If not, can someone enlighten me to their current status?

Not all of them. There is a mapping table at

http://www.digital21.gov.hk/chi/hkscs/download/isov2cmp.txt

between this set and Unicode 3.0. The HKSAR is working with the IRG to make
sure the remainder are in the initial set of characters for Plane 2.
Supporting these ideographs and the new ones from JIS X 0213 is rather
urgent for industry. I think it's likely that Unicode may have a special
dot version released to get them formally into the standard at the earliest
reasonable opportunity, rather than waiting for 4.0. Certainly I would
advocate that.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com