Irish case folding

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Mon Jul 10 2000 - 07:32:03 EDT

Time ago, we discovered some complex behavior in the capitalization of
Irish: some initial letters, called "mutations" never get capitalized.

(The example was "POBLACHT NA hIODÃILE", meaning "Republic of Italy", where
the "h" has to be lowercase even if all the rest is uppercase).

I was wondering:

- Can these mutations only occur after a determinative, or can they also be
at the beginning of a sentence?

- If the second is possible, could I have an example of a word whose 1st
letter would be lowercase at the beginning of a sentence?

- Is this automatically implemented in the case folding function of
localized word processors?

- Any other examples of similar complex behaviors in other languages?

Go raibh míle maith agat.
_ Marco