Re: Using hex numbers considered a geek attitude

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 14:59:33 EDT

Doug Ewell wrote:

> Memorizing the 128 8-bit characters above ASCII is decimal
> was (relatively) not too difficult. Even today, when typing
> á é í ó ú, I am likely to use Alt+160, Alt+130, Alt+161,
> Alt+162, and Alt+163 repectively (as I just did).
> Doing this with the whole BMP is quite another matter.

Especially since there are now many easier methods. For
short runs of Cyrillic text, the Unipad editor is quite handy.
It also works well with any other BMP script covered by its
fonts. (For longer runs of Cyrillic text, typing in Latin
and then running a transliterator to Cyrillic Unicode is
much easier. Most people would just use a Cyrillic keyboard
and driver... )

Various character map features, both Windows and third
party, are also helpful.

The ALT+NCR method, though, is still the easiest for me
when it comes to the input of short passages of Han (Kanji)
text. If I needed to do this frequently, I'd probably just get
the IME from Microsoft.

Best regards,

James Kass.