Inserting ZWNJ (was Re: Using hex numbers considered a geek attitude)

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 14:33:09 EDT

At 9:20 AM +0400 5/4/01, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>I do it much easier. In Word XP try the following:
>Insert/Symbol/Special Characters
>Choose "No-Width Optional Break"
>Then press the button "Shortcut key" and associate with it whatever
>combination you like.
>I use Alt+J because it is easy to remember (it contains J for joiner).
>I used a similar thing in Word 2000, but I do not remember exact terms.
>
>Vladimir Ivanov, iranorus@online.ru

I just tried it in Word 2000. It works perfectly. You just have to
know that the selected character is not identified in the Insert
Symbol dialog box, but in the status bar at the bottom of the Word
window.

Of course, there is still the problem that Word 2000 doesn't always
handle Arabic letter reshaping properly when inserting from Character
Map. As far as I can tell, at worst you have to enter the text, save,
close, and reopen the file to get proper shaping behavior.

--

Edward Cherlin Generalist "A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it." Alice in Wonderland