Re: Word, Asian characters, and Arial Unicode

From: David Starner (dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 07:09:47 EDT

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 11:15:39AM +0200, Marco Cimarosti wrote:
> Apart this, I see one problem with your idea of using characters from the
> "CJK Symbols and Punctuation" block in classical studies: most of these
> character have an inappropriate "East Asian Width" property.
>
> East Asian Width is a property that tells whether or not each Unicode
> character should have the same typographical width as a CJK ideograph. The
> property may be "yes", "no", or a few different kinds of "maybe".

However, if I understand the property right, it's designed to be used in
mono-/bi-width situations like terminal emulators, not in a proportional
situation like Microsoft Word. The width of the character in Word should
be dependent on the width of the glyph in the font used and the spacing
on the line, not "East Asian Width".

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
"I don't care if Bill personally has my name and reads my email and