Re: Word, Asian characters, and Arial Unicode

From: From Net Link (kgw-net@stiscan.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 09:35:57 EDT

On Sun, 6 May 2001 19:22:38 -0400 (EDT), Thomas Chan wrote:

#On Sun, 6 May 2001, David J. Perry wrote:
#
#> Word 2000 (under Win98) insists on using Arial Unicode MS whenever you
#> insert a character in the CJK Punctuation range. There are some characters
#> here that might be useful in non-CJK situations, such as the double
#> brackets. I have made a font with these characters but Word will not let me
#
#By "double brackets", do you mean U+300A and U+300B (LEFT/RIGHT DOUBLE
#ANGLE BRACKET)? Those are used to delimit titles of books and articles.
#What kind of usage do you have in mind that U+00AB and U+00BB
#(LEFT/RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK) or U+226A and U+226B
#(MUCH LESS/GREATER-THAN) couldn't be used?
#
#Not all of the symbols in that block have analogues elsewhere, though--I'm
#not sure what you can do about that.
#
I too was hoping to use these punctuation marks in the future.
Current programming languages (C++ and others) have violated
what I consider good language design by overloading the same
glyphs for totally different uses.
The most obvious is <> for brackets and operators!
There is definitely a need for more types of brackets and other punctuation.
Some can be gotten from the arithmetic set but the only
extra brackets I see are in the CJK range.