Farsi issues (was Re: Persian letters Kaf and Heh with Yeh above)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 08:47:35 EDT

From: "Roozbeh Pournader" <roozbeh@sharif.edu>

> I really hope that all the problems of Microsoft Persian keyboard gets
> fixed in the shipping version of XP.

Well, good luck on this one. With Beta 2 out, its really unlikely that you
will see a change at this point in Windows, if it has not already been
addressed.

> I (and High Council of Informatics of Iran, which I'm a representative
> of), can provide free advice to any organization who likes to support
> standard Persian in their product. So please ask for that.

I would heartily recommend that you and the council (and everyone there!)
work to solve the problem that is blocking foreign software companies from
doing business in Iran: the international copyright issue.

I can just about guarantee you that Windows support for Farsi would be full
and quite solid by now if they had been shipping to the Iranian market there
(after all they first started in Win 3.1 and would still be shipping if it
were possible to not see people copying the software and selling the
copies!).

I don't know the official MS story on Farsi support for XP and beyond, but I
have to believe that the unavailability of Farsi's single most compelling
market has to have a negative impact on priorities. Wouldn't you agree?

In the meantime, you will likely see support continue to get a little better
each version.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.