[OT] bits and bytes

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 16:39:02 EDT

I seem to recall not long ago hearing of some machine architechtures that
have used large bytes, i.e. high number of bits per byte. I think at some
point I heard mention of a 36-bit byte, but one of my colleagues questioned
that (he once worked with a 36-bit architecture, but says it was actually
using 9-bit bytes).

Can anyone clarify for me how big a byte has ever been? (If you could
identify the particular hardware, that would be helpful.)

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>