Re: [OT] bits and bytes

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 17:16:44 EDT

>Morse code uses a one-bit scheme, if you will, or a small number of codes
>(short/long sound and some 3 or 4 standard lengths of pauses) depending on
how
>you look at it.

Well, either you say that Morse code has a character set of three
characters: SPACE, DOT, DASH, meaning a two-bit encoding is required, or
you say that it has two characters: SPACE and BEEP, with the understanding
that two consective BEEPS are temporally continguous -- and that would
require a one-bit encoding.

But I'm not really thinking of Morse code as characters in the sense we
generally use here. Rather, I think it is (in the terms of UTR#17) either a
Transfer Encoding Syntax, or a Character Encoding Form where the code units
are tones of a more or less constant frequency and of a fixed (one-bit
perspecitive) or tripartite (two-bit perspective) duration.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>