Re: [OT] bits and bytes

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 12:05:01 EDT

From: <Peter_Constable@sil.org>

> But do any of them encode using code units larger than 8 bits? Certainly
if
> something like GB2312 were encoded in a flat (linear?) encoding that never
> used code-unit sequences, the code units would have to be larger than 9
> bits. But I've only ever heard of them being handled using sequences of
> 8-bit code units.

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying here, but I am not sure how
meaningful the question is in such a case. If an encoding is constructed
such that I need two octets to represent all characters then we are looking
at a 16 bit requirement. The fact that it is done with particular ranges is
not really something that has a meaning in the context of your question,
does it?

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.