RE: Single Unicode Font

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 11:42:53 EDT

John,

I find that the most compelling reason is that many characters should be
rendered differently depending on user preferences. For example a Japanese
user should have the han rendered into Japanese characters except for one
that do not exist in Japanese. These can be rendered with a Chinese font.
Likewise do you use Simplified or Traditional Chinese glyphs?

As you said font groupings are the best way to go for a "complete" font.
With a series for fonts grouped together so that if the characters is not on
the first fonts it selects from the second fonts, etc. is the way to go.

With Unicode extended planes and potentially millions of characters a single
font make no sense. Fonts like Microsoft's Unicode fonts which handle most
of the major scripts are potentially useful as a starting point. Beyond
that I think that we all agree that it is insane to try to produce a full
Unicode font.

Carl