Re: UTF-8 signature in web and email

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 19:07:18 EDT

DS> This will probably just end up as another CRLF/LF issue, requiring
DS> plain text crossing from one system to another be changed.

Yep.

There is a big cultural difference between the MS-DOS and Mac world
and the Unix world. Unix users expect to be able to use the very same
tools for text and binary data, and they don't want applications to be
aware of the difference.

MS-DOS users, on the other hand, expect applications to have pro-
prietary formats, and are quite happy to go through convoluted con-
version procedures in order to access their data (to the extent to
which they are happy in the first place). Heck, MS-DOS doesn't even
have the concept of concatenating plain files!

Accordingly, the MS-DOS world is in the process of standardasing on
UTF-16 with a signature; the Unix world is using UTF-8 with no
signature. It's a fact of life, and one we're going to have to live
with. Nothing worse than LF vs. CR/LF vs. LF, or ISO 8859-2 vs.
CP 1250 vs. MacCentEuro.

(Still. Magic in plain text. The mind boggles.)

Regards,

                                        Juliusz