Re: Complete UniCode Install Pro/Con

From: Gary P. Grosso (gpg@arbortext.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 08:16:56 EDT

At 12:52 PM 5/23/01 -0600, Otto Stolz wrote:
>Bob Pesavento asked:
> > Also, is it correct that "Arial" is available as UniCode currently? Are
> > there others?
>
>Cf. <http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html#general>.
>
>Best wishes,
> Otto Stolz

I followed this link, and noticed it says:

Arial Unicode MS - 51,180 glyphs in version 0.86
This font file is around 23.0 MB, and using it can slow down your computer.

Question: Can installing it slow down your computer? I tend to doubt it,
but would like to know for sure. Does using it once permanently slow down
your computer from then on? I really doubt it, but it is one possible
interpretation of the above statement.

Installing many fonts, of any size, slows down the process of displaying
a font-choice list. (This was incredibly bad back in Win3.1.)

And since I've come out of the woodwork to ask this question, I may as
well say I see the value in a pan-unicode font if only for debugging
applications and as a fall-back for characters which aren't found in
any other font, as someone said, better than a generic rectangle.

I don't see the practicality of having many pan-unicode fonts to accommodate
various faces and typographic styles. If I had a choice, my one pan-unicode
font would be probably be Courier-like.

---
Gary Grosso
ggrosso@arbortext.com