Font linking (was Single Unicode Font)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 11:57:10 EDT

Chris,

I think we both agree that all applications should adopt Unicode display &
printing services rather than code pages ones.

There I think we part ways. mlang is a application based solution because
of the way that it is intended to be used. I think that scanning buffers
and fonts for characters matches is an awkward and time consuming process.
I simpler method would be to deal with the problem at a system level. It
would be much easier if Windows would link the fonts at the OS level. It
could even assign font names to sets of linked fonts. As part of setting
users could build this links fonts. Then the process would be somewhat
automatic. There would be no special programming involved.

The responsibility however would shift. It would be the user's
responsibility to link the fonts properly and that if they did not do so
that some characters may not render properly.

I think that a wizard could do a good job of setting up these fonts. Like
IE you would specify your default fonts for each script. Then starting with
a system font you would specify the font ordering. New fonts link grouping
would be based on the master setup. You could specify what your new fonts
and grouping were and the rest would be based on the defaults.

Carl