RE: the HOW-TO of converting Chinese to Unicode HTML

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 11:11:19 EDT

Agustus,

If you want to look at the source code of a converter you can always look at the ICU source. There you can look at various converters for Big5/GB2312, EUC and iso-2022-cn converters that convert to and from Unicode. Being open source you can look at both the tables and code. It is not easy to follow since it uses a generalized converter system with special routines for specialized types of conversion. The converter code is fairly will broken out so you won't have to go through the rest of ICU.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

I still don't know why you have to understand how the converters work. If you want the code point relationships look at the conversion tables. Use convrtrs.txt to find the converter name. For example EUC-CN is ibm-1383. Open ibm-1383.ucm and you will find the code point maps and converters controls.

They also have documentation on the GB18030 mapping data on the web site that you might find interesting.

Carl