A Europe of fonts

From: Sorin Paliga (paliga@fx.ro)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 15:45:23 EDT

In fact, a fully Pan-European font should cover not only the Roman
(including Roman extended), Greek, Cyrillic and Armenian, but also
Georgian, Turkic Latin and Turkic Cyrillic.
If we refer to only modern and contemporary languages and scripts.
Historically, we should also add Glagolitic and Old Church Slavonic.
This would be indeed a complete European script of scripts.
_____________

David Starner wrote:
In any case, some scripts just go together. Mathematicians and
linguists frequently use Latin and Greek together (cf. IPA) in ways
that require consistent font looks.

Perhaps the case of the four modern European scripts (Latin, Greek, Cyrillic
and Armenian) is quite special.

Although they are clearly separate writing systems, by the point of view of
a linguist, they may be considered as one and the same script by the point
of view of a typographer.

[...]

--
Sorin Paliga