RE: A Europe of fonts

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 05:47:14 EDT

Michael Everson wrote:
> Sorin Paliga wrote:
> >Historically, we should also add Glagolitic and Old Church Slavonic.
> >This would be indeed a complete European script of scripts.
>
> With Ogham and Runic, Old Hungarian, Old Permic, and Linear A.

Sorry but I don't think that the point here is geographic proximity or
historic connections between scripts. We were rather talking about a
*typographic* similarity.

Printed Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Armenian (and, to a minor degree, Hebrew)
are similar because their typography developed at the same age and in the
same environment.

Georgian or Glagolitic are extraneous to this typographical tradition, and
ancient scripts are of course extraneous to typography herself.

_ Marco