Re: ISO vs Unicode UTF-8 (was RE: UTF-8 signature in web and email)

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 05:21:53 EDT

Jianping Yang wrote:

> As a matter of fact, the surrogate or supplementary character was not defined
> in the past,

How long is "the past"? I remember reading about these surrogates the first
time I put my hands on a draft copy of ISO 10646. It was nearly six years ago.

Or do you mean that it was (or worse, still is) impossible to have PUA
characters is some DB products... No, you cannot imply that...

> so we could live without Premise B in the past. But now the
> supplementary character is defined and will soon be supported,

"Soon to be supported" will be kind for Microsoft+James Kass to hear.

Antoine