Re: Radical of U+4E71

From: Thomas Chan (thomas@atlas.datexx.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 12:29:38 EDT

On Mon, 28 May 2001, [ISO-2022-JP] てんどう瘢雹りゅう瘢雹じ wrote:

> I thought the radical was tongue, not hook.

It depends on what source you use as your authority.

The _Kangxi Zidian_ says it goes under radical #5, U+2F04 KANGXI RADICAL
SECOND (not #6, U+2F05 KANGXI RADICAL HOOK, btw), and it seems for this
particular character U+4E71, the other three dictionaries (Dai Kanwa
Jiten, Hanyu Da Zidian, and Dae Jaweon) happen to agree.

I don't see a pointer on p. 895 of TUS3.0 under radical #135, U+2F86
KANGXI RADICAL TONGUE, but maybe some people who are unfamiliar with the
character would need it (and it would be logical to try looking
under what's on the left half of the character first).

> In case you're wondering, the kanji in question is "ran" as in
> "random". That IS what it is, isn't it?

Yes, U+4E71 is 'chaos' and other related/derived words; luan in Chinese,
ran in Japanese. Its what appears on the box art for Kurosawa's movie
_Ran_.

However, there are cases such as U+7551, hatake 'dry field', which is,
surprise! (well, maybe just to Chinese people), filed under radical #102,
U+2F65 KANGXI RADICAL FIELD, rather than #86, KANGXI RADICAL FIRE.
According to the priorities in the "Han Ideograph Arrangement" section on
p. 266 of TUS3.0, it failed to be found in the _Kangxi Zidian_ (dictionary
#1), so it was up to the _Dai Kanwa Jiten_ (dictionary #2) to dictate
where it goes in Unicode, despite dictionary #3, the _Hanyu Da Zidian_,
saying it should go under #86, etc.

(If and when U+7551 does appear in Chinese dictionaries, it is filed under
radical #86. Why include it if this character is used in Japanese and not
Chinese?--the story I have heard is that it appears as part of the name of
a Japanese solder in one of MAO Zedong's works. People must want to know
what it means and how to read it, so it acquired an artificial "tian2"
reading in Chinese.)

> Some -- a very few -- kanji actually have proper names in Unicode, if
> you know how to look for them, such as IDEOGRAPH FIRE.

I think that's a bit misleading.

You must be refering to either or both of these two:
  U+322B PARENTHESIZED IDEOGRAPH FIRE
  U+328B CIRCLED IDEOGRAPH FIRE

In this particular case, not only is there something different about them
(parenthesized and circled), but if you look at the context of the source
they probably came from, they were probably meant as abbreviations for
'Tuesday' (in Japanese and Korean use), and not 'fire'. e.g., U+322B
PARENTHESIZED IDEOGRAPH MOON for 'Monday' .. U+3230 PARENTHESIZED
IDEOGRAPH SUN for 'Sunday', and likewise for U+328A .. U+3290.

Thomas Chan
tc31@cornell.edu