Re: Unicode-based Cyrillic-Latin transliteration table

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 14:16:30 EDT

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 12:11:45PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> DougEwell2@cs.com scripsit:
> > I am trying to build a Unicode-based transliteration table from Cyrillic to
> > 7-bit ASCII and would like to request the assistance of the Unicode list
> > members.
>
> Note that what you are doing is properly "transcription" rather than
> "transliteration".

I think it is "transliteration", as one cyrillic letter is to be
transformed to one or more ascii characters, literally one by one.

> > Lots of Cyrillic-Latin transliterations are available for the Russian
> > alphabet. I am looking for one that targets only the 7-bit ASCII set, which
> > rules out ISO 9, and covers more than just Russian, which rules out many
> > others. One-to-one correspondence between letters is not a goal; it is
> > perfectly OK to transliterate U+0429 to "SHCH".
>
> I fear you have undertaken something hopeless. One could transliterate
> U+0429 as SHCH or S^C^ or any number of other things, but that is only
> appropriate for Russian. In Bulgarian, the only natural transcription
> of U+0429 is SHT.

The transliteration is both dependent on which language is the
source, and which language is the target. There is a well-defined
transliteration between Serbian and Croatian, which is different
from the Russian spec. And say english, german, and danish rules are
different, eg Hrusjev, Krustjov, Chruschof (or the like) for the former
soviet prime secretary.

To keep sarasvati happy: blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla blablabal, blablabla blabla bla bla bla blabla
that should be enough new text now.

Kind regards
Keld