Re: regarding unicode input

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 12:53:51 EDT

> I would like to know whether the keyboards for hindi and arabic etc
>sends input in the form of unicode or Ascii.

It can't be ASCII since that character set obviously doesn't include
Devanagari or Arabic characters. Clearly you mean Unicode or a legacy
encoding. Both are potentially possible, but if the latter then an app
that's storing Unicode must convert to Unicode via some codepage. What does
in fact happens may depend upon a variety of factors, certainly including
the platform you're working with, and you haven't mentioned what that is.

> If unicode how to capture that
>input in programs.Are the keyboards easily available in market.

Again, depends upon the platform.

If you're using Windows, I've got a paper that discusses these kinds of
issues. You'll find it at
ftp://ftp.sil.org/unicode/ml_sw_in_windows/understandingmultilingualsw.pdf.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>