Deseret keyboard (was:Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001)

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 01:43:37 EDT

In a message dated 2001-10-02 22:04:41 Pacific Daylight Time,
michka@trigeminal.com writes:

>> I still live in hopes that someone, John or someone else, will one
>> day send me a Deseret keyboard layout that is at least SLIGHTLY
>> standard (meaning more than one person has ever used it).
>>
>> I need something I can download and read on a Windows machine.
>> Text or a GIF would be fine.
>
> I have a hard time picturing what such a layout would *look* like... what
> the heck would someone who uses the language expect, anyway? :-)

Well, careful now. The language is English. You mean "someone who uses the
script."

I tried creating a Deseret keyboard for (and with) SC UniPad, using the
Dvorak keyboard layout as a loose model. By that I do not at all mean that I
mapped Latin letters on the Dvorak keyboard to "equivalent" Deseret letters,
but rather that I put the most common letters (as determined from a large
chunk of text in Deseret) on the home row and relegated the least common
letters to Alt+Gr (Ctrl+Alt) combinations. The biggest problem, of course,
is that there are 38 of the buggers and so these Alt+Gr combinations are
necessary.

My keyboard is all right, I guess, but it is completely my own invention and
I really know nothing about the engineering that goes into proper keyboard
design. I'd feel better with something designed by someone who had a clue,
and/or something that has seen some actual use. Not that there are an awful
lot of users, mind you.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California