Re: Deseret keyboard (was:Re: Special Type Sorts Tray 2001)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 14:11:05 EDT

On 10/03/2001 10:48:29 AM John H. Jenkins wrote:

>Getting screen shots of my Deseret keyboard layout is a less than
>trivial task, so I'll try to describe it word-wise...

Except for the Caps Lock behaviour, this layout would be fairly
straightforward to setup for Windows using Keyman. A few stored arrays and
three rules ought to do it:

+ [K_Q] > deadkey(1)
+ any(RegKey) > index(RegChar,1)
deadkey(1) + any(DK_Key) > index(DK_Char,2)

Keyman 5 doesn't provide a way to make keystrokes sensitive to the caps
lock state. But the English QWERTY keyboard is really a distinct keyboard
layout, and I would be more inclined to have a Deseret layout be Deseret
only and get users to switch to an English QWERTY keyboard (or whatever
other keyboard they might want to use) rather than mix two different
writing systems into a single layout using the Caps Lock state to switch
between them.