Re: Code points for "al-Qaeda"

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 01:45:04 EDT

In a message dated 2001-10-03 10:13:26 Pacific Daylight Time,
jcowan@reutershealth.com writes:

> Stefan Persson wrote:
>
>> Do you write "al-Qaeda" and "Osama bin Laden" in English? In Swedish
>> newspapers it's written "al-Qaida" and "Usama bin Ladin."
>
> Usually. The U.S. media seem to prefer "Taliban" universally,
> but I have seen "Taleban" in publications from other anglophone
> countries. All these e's and o's in Arabic don't actually exist
> in the writing system, and are imported from the colloquial.

CNN does use the spellings I gave (which Stefan asked about), although
frequently they drop the hyphen from "al-Qaeda." John is correct about
"Taliban"; the BBC spells it "Taleban."

All these romanization discrepancies are exactly the reason I asked about the
"true" Arabic spelling in Unicode in the first place. Thanks to everyone for
their (on-topic) contributions.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California