RE: Roadmaps

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2001 - 20:23:34 EDT

At 14:25 -0700 2001-10-10, Carl W. Brown wrote:

> > I think the problems fro WG2 to refernce Unicode web pages are the
>> same as referencing Michael eversons web site. If the roadmaps are
> > planning for the ISO standard, they should reside on the ISO web.

The Roadmaps have always, and will always, be informative.

>I disagree with ISO's policy of charging for all of the public standards.
>It is a barrier for small developers. If I want ISO 639 codes for example,
>I look for public documents. These are copies of the ISO standards and may
>not be up to date or have transcription errors because a direct copies of
>the ISO files are copyright violations even if the data is a public standard
>that is free for all to use.

ISO does make some standards free. But the Roadmaps aren't standards.
They are just aids to those of us doing the standardizing.

>For a while I thought that maybe we should make http://www.egt.ie/ a formal
>standards site and start a trust to maintain the site in the event of his
>demise or retirement. (Just kidding)

It would be http://www.evertype.com. Donations welcome. It would make
it a lot easier for me to do my life's work. (Not really kidding.)

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com
Telephone +353 86 807 9169 *** Fax +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)