RE: ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ (Was: ZWJ and Turkish)

From: Bob_Hallissy@sil.org
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 04:41:47 EDT

>Can I ask what Uniscribe would do if it encountered Roozbeh's ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZJW
>character string? Perhaps it would help if Roozbeh explained why he sees
>this as a problem.

According to my understanding:

Consider Lam+Alef. The <rlig> table should form a ligature.

The sequence Lam+ZWNJ+Alef would produce non-joined sequence (i.e., final
or isolate Lam followed by isolate Alef)

However, the sequence Lam+ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZJW+Alef should produce joined Lam ALef
*but no ligature* (i.e., medial or initial Lam followed by final Alef).
(This would be used, e.g., in places where you want to document how
Lam+Alef is *not* written :-)

I don't know if this is implemented in Uniscribe or not, but I think that
is where it belongs.

Bob