Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Oct 11 2001 - 16:02:48 EDT

On 10 Oct 2001, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I have just made public a site with information about the world's
> scripts and languages at

> Comments on the contents would be very welcome.

 It seems like a single script is classified as belonging to only
one category and only one type on your site. I'd lift that
restriction.

  For instance, Korean Hangul is not only featural but
also alphabetic and alphasyllabaric. Moreover, it's very likely that
the invention of Hangul was influenced by Indic scripts and Mongolian
'Phags pa script although Chinese influence is also obvious in that a
syllable is put into a square block. Given that, putting it into Sinitic
alone may not be such a good idea.

  The same is true of all scripts currently in 'artificial'. As already
pointed out by others, they can be also put into alphabetic, featural
and so forth depending on their characteristics.

  Jungshik Shin