Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 00:23:15 EDT

>Hmm. I missed that. I guess Daniels and Bright decided not to
>take a definitional approach to their discussion -- probably because
>when you get down to the dirty details there is so much overlap
>in the categories, anyway!

I think we need to think of the variously defined classifications of
writing systems and scripts as being defined in terms of prototypes: there
are some instances that are better examples of a given class than others.
For instance, there are some abjads that are better examples of the notion
of "abjad" than others. Something may start of as an abjad; over time,
some of the consonantal symbols may take on the role of representing semi
vowels or certain vowel sounds (while other vowels are left
unrepresented). Eventually, this could evolve into a full alphabet. How do
we characterise the intermediate stages? In relation to whichever
prototype is seems to us to be closest.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>