Re: [OT] ANN: Site about scripts

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 19:16:52 EDT

At 11:56 10/15/2001, Kenneth Whistler wrote, in response to Michael Everson:

> > >The Canadian aboriginal syllabics, derived from a shorthand
> > >system,
> >
> > Which one? What are the common elements? (I have never checked this
> myself.)
>
>I may have overstated the case. It was probably a Zeitgeist
>thing, rather than a direct derivation. James Evans invented
>the orginal set of aboriginal syllabics in the 1830's.
>Isaac Pitman developed his system in 1837 in England,
>and it spread to the U.S. through his brother Benn, who
>moved to Cincinnati.

Anyone interested in the development of Evan's syllabics, and in particular
in their first casting as type, might like to visit

         http://www.tiro.com/syllabics/rossville.html

Which documents my colleague Wm Ross Mill's experiments in reproducing
Evan's technology, albeit with the assistance of a blowtorch at one stage :)

The page may take a while to load, since the graphics have not been
optimised for screen.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

Type is something that you can pick up and hold in your hand.
                                                   - Harry Carter