Re: Keyboard Layouts for Office XP in WIndows 98

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 00:47:50 EST

Vladimir Ivanov <iranorus@online.ru> wrote:

> Stefan Persson wrote:
>
>> Where in the UCS do you find the Old Persian characters?
>
> I'm referring to Michael Everson's "Proposal to encode Old Persian
Cuneiform
> in Plane 1 of ISO/IEC 10646-2"

You do realize, of course, that any sort of work done with Old Persian
Cuneiform based on N1639 should be limited to laboratory
experimentation. Not only is this script not in Unicode, it's been
relegated to the "under investigation" list, a pool of quicksand from
which few scripts have ever been rescued.

The fact that there's a block in the Roadmap for Old Persian Cuneiform
starting at U+103A0 is no guarantee of anything. Please don't
distribute keyboards or anything else using this proposed encoding, at
least not until it comes *much* closer to acceptance.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California