Characters 0x80 - 0x9F in ISO 8859-1

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 05:59:14 EDT

This list has previously told me that the characters 0x80 - 0x9F in
ISO 8859-1 are a particular set of control characters from ISO 6429.
I also see that the ISO 8859-1 mapping published on unicode.org maps
these characters into the Unicode characters with the same code
points.

I now see that ISO 8859-1 actually says

  "The shaded positions [0x00-0x1f og 0x7f-0x9f] correspond to
   bit combinations that do not represent graphic characters.
   Their use is outside the scope of ISO 8859; it is specifies
   in other International Standards, for example ISO 646 or
   ISO 6429."

and I find other sources which say that ISO 8859 does not define any
control characters at all, and that users of it must themselves choose
a set of characters to use in this range.

I find this a little confusing and would like to know whether there
really is a fixed, normative interpretation of this character range.