Re: Characters 0x80 - 0x9F in ISO 8859-1

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 07:44:16 EDT

Lars Marius Garshol scripsit:

> This list has previously told me that the characters 0x80 - 0x9F in
> ISO 8859-1 are a particular set of control characters from ISO 6429.

It would be more precise to say that insofar as any C1 characters are
used at all, they are most often given the interpretation mandated by
ISO 6429. Strictly speaking, the ISO 8859 series does not specify
any C0 or C1 characters.

> I also see that the ISO 8859-1 mapping published on unicode.org maps
> these characters into the Unicode characters with the same code
> points.

That mapping is not normative. The only normative mappings in Unicode
are between ideographic characters and the source character sets
specified in the Standard.

(This whole thing, or at least the last point, would be a fit entry
for the FAQ, I think.)

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com