Re: ZWJ and Latin Ligatures

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 15:03:54 EDT

In following this thread, I am trying to find where, in a non-plain text
product, I have the ability to make two characters into a ligature or
cursively connected. (The latter I guess I could do with a wholesale
font change.) For example, I looked at Microsoft Word and found that I
can make the text shimmer and sparkle and have either marching red or
black ants (When will Unicode have characters to do those?) but I don't
see how to control ligatures.

As someone who is not a high-end typographer, I don't recall ever having
the ability to change ligaturing without replacing characters. I also do
not ever recall having the need to, which I understand is part of the
rationale for the Unicode policy. I am not trying to argue one way or
the other. The discussion refers to other ways of influencing a font
with respect to ligature and I don't recall ever seeing a way to do
this. What kinds of products have these abilities?

tex

Making e-Business Work Around the World