Re: ZWJ and Latin Ligatures

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jul 01 2002 - 17:04:02 EDT

On Monday, July 1, 2002, at 01:03 PM, Tex Texin wrote:

> The discussion refers to other ways of influencing a font
> with respect to ligature and I don't recall ever seeing a way to do
> this. What kinds of products have these abilities?

It's a pretty common feature of desktop publishing applications—Quark,
FrameMaker, InDesign. TextEdit, the default text editor on Mac OS X, does
it, but it's not at all common at the low end of things. I wouldn't be
surprised if it showed up in Word eventually, however.

In FrameMaker, which I happen to have open at the moment, you do it by
turning pair kerning on and off. InDesign has a menu that lets you select
degree of ligation.

John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
jenkins@mac.com